Working with South Lanarkshire Council, A.C. Whyte were successful in tendering for two phases of roof and render works to 340 flats within 24 blocks, within the area of Burnhill, Rutherglen. Having our own directly employed workforce not only ensured a high level of control and quality but allowed us to deliver the core services of roofing, render and joinery works ourselves, without the requirement for subcontractors. Our Customer Liaison and Construction team worked closely with South Lanarkshire Council to coordinate the survey and march in process for every property, this was due to a window replacement programme running concurrently with the works, asbestos was also present at the head of each window, therefore meticulous programming and coordination was key to its success. Phase 2 of the works was also above a local convenience store therefore A.C. Whyte planned and coordinated the design of scaffolding to ensure both the general public and residents could go about their business safely.
Careful planning and consistent communication with tenants was key in ensuring they were provided with enough notice of the works. This also meant the appointed, licensed asbestos contractor was able to carry out works to two flats per day to install protective zones and decontamination chambers on entry to each flat. This ensured programme timings were protected and we delivered the works ahead of schedule, which resulted in a cost saving for the Client.
- Each block on both phases had a mono-pitched tiled roof and approx. 20m2 flat roof.
- Replaced roof coverings with new Redland Grovebury tiles & coated flat roof areas with Sika liquid plastics.
- Remedial works to existing substrate
- Scrim reinforcing base coat, polymer dash receiver complete with dry aggregate finish
- Smooth render reveals
- Installed new aluminium gutters
- Existing downpipes were changed to run externally/installed in aluminium
- New drainage runs installed connecting to existing sewage lines replacing grassed, paved & tarmac paths
- Replacement UPVc Windows
- Replacement steel security entrance doors front and rear complete with entry system
- Re-painting of closes with fire retardant paint
- The blocks were susceptible to pigeons roosting and fouling. We environmentally cleaned drying and close areas closed off areas were entry could be made and installed netting externally to prevent access
- Carried out numerous lintel repairs, replacing lintels with steels angles and crack stitched some defective brickwork
- Asbestos was present at the head of each window in every flat. We coordinated the removal of existing windows, where an appointed, licensed contractor encapsulated the asbestos and installed the new windows in one day.
- Carried out a dilapidation survey to each property, internally and externally
System Manufacturer: Wetherby